Smoking Pot before surgery bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Suicide, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Suicide To|

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,880
    So today i've been smoking all day, even as i type, and tomorow i get my tonsils and adenoids out...uhm, is this smoking bad, they told me to not drink or eat after 12am..so uh...shud i stop smoking at 12 or...need answers...
  2. Osprey Solid.

Stoner Buck$:
    $7,688
    Just for safety I would hang back on the smoking. Pulling hot, burnt plant matter across the organs they're about to remove can't be a great idea. Just to reduce risk of complication or infection. I can't imagine getting high once before surgery would be worth any kind of complication that may arise. Could just be paranoid, I've never been under the knife, knock on wood, when it comes to the PRACTICE of medicine, I try to make it as easy as possible for the medical professional to keep me sucking wind.
  3. Suicide To|

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,880
    lol thanx

ive read on some sites that people have smoked before surgery and they were fine. but yeah i think i might smoke some more then call it quits.
    whats it gonna hurt to do it a bit more ay.;deadhorse
  4. JohnDoeRadio 'Knowledge is Freedom'

Stoner Buck$:
    $4,497
    I think sometimes blood tests are taken right before surgery to test for a multitude of things including an assessment of the level of any drug in your system. But this might not be done for every surgery.

I also think vaping before surgery wouldnt do any harm whatsoever. In fact it might even help to relax before the big moment. One thing i think of while responding to this, is noone has EVER died from pot. So in my mind, it cant be more harmful than something a doctor would give you in preperation for emergency surgery, or something that would need strong medication.

Only thing i can think of is if you go in surgery high, which is probably not gonna happen, seeing how long it might be from the time you are able to actually sneak a smoke, or vap, to the time the doc puts yah under. The effects on how the anestesiologist perceives your body to react to what is happening could be something to think about. In some people the idea of smoking and the chain reaction, or things happening to get you high, will fluctuate heart rates in some people slightly. Its a natural thing. Sometimes it happens when you hold your breath too long, and sometimes people get paranoid, and sometimes its the result of just some good ol' green. But everyones body reacts differently to everything. All in all i think there would be no issue. In fact if you thought there might be an issue, then you should stop smoking two weeks to a month before the surgery to completely clear the system. I even read a doctor telling someone they should have stopped smoking six months before the surgery. lol. Doctors. They dont know too much sometimes. Why its called a practice. And after the surgery. Gimme some good medicated hard candies and suckers. There isnt too many more effective pain killers on this earth, especially something handed to us straight from gods hand.

;rolljoint
  5. Suicide To|

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,880
    '

thanx for the information much appreciated;fatty.
  6. BabaOne Junior Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $326
    I went in to hospital at lunchtime to get some varicose veins removed a few years ago and I told the surgeon I had had a smoke in the morning.

They went into a bit of panic for a minute or two - told me they might have to cancel the op to scare me, but they would look in their books anyway.

10 minutes later I was on a trolly and on my way to theatre.

They wouldn't tell me what the book said but I had the op and I was fine.
  7. Suicide To|

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,880
    lol of course they wouldn't, they can't legally say there is nothing wrong with smoking pot, and that it could possibly of helped you relax which could help them during surgery time. ay.:rolleyes:
  8. DBoone I Owe a Lot to Iowa Pot

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,868
    well i have alot of experience here. i had the same surgical procedure done on me in 2006 and i smoked quite a bit before goin in. i think it did have an effect on the anaesthetic cause they said i sorta woke up during the surgery and kept movin my hands around. although i dont remember doin that at all. lol. anyway the procedure worked fine i got outta there in no time. during the recovery which really sucked i couldnt eat anything solid so i spent most of my time suckin down yogurt and jello and hydrocodone syrup. also i smoked alot it didnt really have an effect on my throat althought it did hurt a little bit when i smoked i dont think it had any adverse effects so i think you should be ok if you smoke just dont smoke a whole bunch before the surgery or it might make it so you wake up like i did.
  9. Suicide To|

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,880
    Well thanks for all the help and stuff

today got up and went to the hospital, i get there and they don't have me down for surgery, apparently where i went to see the doctor first at (the hospital) he doesn't do surgery there
    (that's a bit absurd) but since they didn't tell me the right hospital to go to i missed my surgery and had to get it rescheduled considering it would of took another hour to get to the other hospital from where i already was.
    :(
    I hate living in the boonies.
    ;deadhorse