neem oil on flowering plants?

Discussion in 'Problems and Sick Plants' started by tonywade, Sep 7, 2008.

1. tonywade Experienced Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $218
    I just noticed spidermites on two plants, no webbing yet but eggs and live bugs on the undersides of spotty leaves. Is it ok to spray neem oil mixed with a bit of safers soap and water on the entire plant? They are well into flowering and I plan on flowering for at least 4 more weeks. Will it make the buds all nasty tasting or bad to smoke?
  2. SylentJohn Experienced Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $915
    Yeah it will, you dont really want to use it too close to harvest, it gets in the weed. I grew a plant last year outside that I had bug problems with and even after 3 month cure, it tasted like shit and threw off black smoke. I ended up giving it to my little cousin, a whole quart Mason Jar full, he loved me for it, but said he had problems keeping it lit in a joint.

I was spraying the plant all the way up to harvest, I stopped a few days before. So you might be able to use it for a couple weeks. I wouldnt use it after you start to flush your plants for sure.
  3. tonywade Experienced Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $218
    Hey thanks for the info, im hoping that 3-4 weeks will give it enough time to dissipate from the buds, cuz I dont want to spray any really harsh chemicals on them either. Do you think that a light spray with clean water will help to rinse the bug spray off without damaging the buds? I definetly wont spray anything on them during flushing
  4. SylentJohn Experienced Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $915
    Sure sounds good to me, cant hurt.

I dont know if this is inside or outside but I wouldnt spray anything at the beginning of the "day" or during the "day" because the light/sun will burn the pistils with water/neem on them. Spray before the sun goes down or right after you turn the lights off depending on if youre grow is inside or out. Just wanted to throw that out there, you might of already known that, but Im just stating it so you do know if you didnt. I burned a shitload of pistils last year, took me a week or two to figure out what I was doing. They dont really burn, just turn red before they should.
  5. HighSeeker Just Your Average Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $4,137
    It is my understanding that it is ok to spray up to about 4 weeks before harvest. Spray em good now and again in a few days to get rid of any that might hatch. I had a few this season too but was able to kknock em out before I got too far into flower.

Good luck!

Peace

HS
  6. tonywade Experienced Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $218
    Thanks for the advice! I think that they will be fine, tonite I'm gonna spray again, hopefully for the last time, the smell of that neem oil makes me gag! BLEGH!
  7. SylentJohn Experienced Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $915
    Yeah me too, its some foul smelling stuff. Even after you mix it with water and dishsoap.
  8. Veggii Junior Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $325
    wuz up peeps, I got a plant with the spider mites and am trying too figure out wtf todo the bottle of neem says mix 1 ounce to gallon of water and spray plant / the whole plant or just the affected leaves? should I try to scrub the leaves with sponge or just spray and leave them? and what about cutting off the affected leaves, were should they be cut at ? the main plant stem ? or were the leaves meet their stem? can you just cut off individual leaf fans or the whole leaf ? i really dont want too cut them at all as the badly affected leaves are near the top kola and getting lots of light good info greatly appreciated ty veggii
  9. tokinGLX the duke of herb

Stoner Buck$:
    $6,532
    it has been over a month since the op first [posted aabout spraying a flowering plant, one piece of advice there, if you have to spray a flowering plant and it is still small/medium sized, 2-3 days after the spraying, bring the plant up and put it in your shower. give it a good rinse off in there using lukewarm water. let it THOROUGHLY dry before putting it back down under the light, and check for mites the next night. spray if necessary and repeat the whole process until you are mite free.

veggii, you will want to spray the whole plant. tops and bottoms of the leaves as well as the stem. spider mites are small fuggers, they crawl all around the plant.

if you have severely affected leaves, if you dont want to just cut off the whole leaf, spray it down and then take your fingers and give the leaf(especially the underside where you will undoubtedly have a shitton of eggs) a rubdown.
    i would suggest wearing some latex gloves while doing this, neem isnt exactly the best of smells you want on your hands.
  10. Veggii Junior Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $325
    thx tokinglx it says to mix 1 ounce neem oil with gallon water for neem oil spray, but the oil & water don't mix well is there a better method than just shaking the gallon of water with oil in it ? can i use the neem oil full strenght on leaves? are there better methods for getting rid of spider mites other than neem oil as I heard it makes your buds smell and taste like shit! I saw in another forum this guy posted he used a no-pest strip and it worked ? he did'nt mention what kind of no-pest strip
  11. DiabloGreenThumb Junior Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $362
    I have been using neem oil this year to combat those green worms which bite the base stem of buds or eat by tunneling in.

Follow instructions, do not use full strength then add 1 TBS dish soap (dawn) per gallon of water so the neem oil stays mixed with the water. Cover the entire plant upper and under. Apply every 7 days.

After my first application, the plants looked much better and I found dead little green worms barely hanging on. In about ten days the worms were back and I sprayed again. I read it could be applied up to seven days before harvest but probably the more days before harvest the better.

I got the recommendation to use neem oil from Oaksterdam in Oakland.
  12. smellychronic prop215_user

Stoner Buck$:
    $621
    I've been looking into the neem oil thing more online. I've used neem oil for years. Studies show neem oil actually clogs in the plants up and stunts growth.
    I have never used them on flowering plants.
  13. Shadowrider Newbie Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $151
    you need to add 1/4 tsp of dishsoap to the oil and water. The soap acts as an emulsifier and keeps them mixed well.;LOL
  14. jimmi69 R.I.P Simoncelli

Stoner Buck$:
    $2,288
    yes its not best thing too much will fuck ur plants up its better as preventative when ur plants are young , look into summink with pyrethrum in from ur local DIY store they use it on oraganic crops we eat to contriol mites and so on and its more powerfull but the mites will get resistant to it with too much but it will kill them , its made from dried flower heads so is all natural but its well toxic on mites, spray every 3 or 4 days for 2 weeks :thumbsup: