Kava Kava?

Discussion in 'Other Psychotropics' started by amosb72, Nov 25, 2008.

1. amosb72 Junior Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $863
    Has anyone tried smoking or taking kava kava?

I saw they had some at my head shop but the girl who works there told me to go to GNC and get it there cheaper.

so i did i got 60 250mg pills for $16

i don't know how much to take

and since its the extract i was wondering if i could just smoke it

also what does it do????????

any answers would be appreciated

thanks
  2. Osprey Solid.

Stoner Buck$:
    $7,688
    I've done the reading but I'm not going to try to regurgitate it, it's here. --->Erowid Kava (Piper methysticum, Awa) Vault

I've actually wanted to try it myself for a while. There are some health concerns though.
  3. halffoot The late night stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $959
    I read this travelogue book once called 'Getting Stoned With Savages' about this guy who went to live on the South Pacific islands where indigenous peoples actually do this stuff. AMAZING book, completely hilarious.

It sounds like crazy shit. Let me know how it works out for you.
  4. amandizzle21 New Member

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,875
    I love kava! I have taken it and smoked it on top of my bowls. If you take it, it is better to drink some booze after you take it. It will intensify the high. You feel happy and care free. It always takes away my stress kinda like pot but different.
    If you choose to smoke it, here is what i do.............
    I buy the capsules with the kavalactone paste in them (which i get at my local head shop) and i poke a hole in the side of the capsule and smear half the pill on my bowl and smoke it. It makes ur pot taste interesting but not bad. It makes your bowls last forever and I love the high I have also smoked it in my hookah with sheesha and ganja.

P.S. If you put some paste on your tounge, it goes numb haha
  5. amosb72 Junior Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $863
    thank you

but i dont have the paste pills

well idk i'll hav to break one open, but it does look kinda dry like a powder almost
  6. amosb72 Junior Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $863
    ok so apparently it just makes u feel good
    like happy
  7. Gandalf Master Wizard

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,111
    I've bought the kavalactone capsuls and tried brewing a drink out of the root. No matter how much I had of either, it didn't have any effect.
  8. SmYthie Brain Melter

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,941
    the pills are usually pretty weak, but that's all i've had. I have had pills that have ground up leaf material and pills that had something like tar in them. the leafy ones i could almost never feel, and i always took like 5-10. the tarry ones i could actually feel at about 3 or 4 and i guess it could be comparable to vicodin, but not completely.

either way it was very light, almost hard to tell. I heard the only REAL way to do it is to make tea from straight kava root. this tea apparently works very well and people in fiji swear by it. never tried it though.

just be careful because there are warnings about taking it too much because it can hurt your liver. probably limit it to only once or twice a week if your going to do it more than once.
  9. Gandalf Master Wizard

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,111
    This is exactly what did; bought some root and all, followed the brewing instructions, and still nothing (except a taste that made me gag).
  10. SmYthie Brain Melter

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,941
    actually man i just tried l-theanine, and honest to god it works better than kava. its kinda like valium but no side effects. i guess its better if you have some form of mild anxiety.

i took 400 mg one night then smoked one hit of the bombest nug and i thought i was rolling, no kidding. look into it, its really like a wonder drug
  11. JarvisJahRastafari Herbalizer

Stoner Buck$:
    $593
    Yeah drinking it is the way to go. I'd never heard of smoking untill now lol. We have like a bag of powder that you can buy and you just mix if with water in some fucked up way I think. But I can't really remember. The only time I've ever had a taste of kava was when I was about 6 lol.
  12. Skulldroog Lower Class Brat

Stoner Buck$:
    $873
    A friend of mine and his family drink that. I've had it one time. It's a really odd leaf that we took in the form of tea. We chugged down like four cups of it and got a nice body buzz going on after smoking a few bowls. Was nice. :rolleyes:
  13. Gandalf Master Wizard

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,111
    Not that I'm making any assertions with certainty about people's personal experience, but it seems that a lot of people who "got a nice buzz" off kava did so in conjunction with smoking a bowl. In which case it could just as easily be only the weed, with a little different effect due to the expectation of the kava.
  14. amosb72 Junior Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $863
    i also noticed that
  15. high_hopes pot smoker

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,063
    My good friend and first time trip buddy is Tongan and goes to a church where they have kava drinking sessions.

We had a kava, spots and whisky session the other weekend, it was primo.
  16. SmYthie Brain Melter

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,941
    yea bud with kava is pretty sweet. it is mellow unless you get the tea which i've never had the ability to get. the pills are usually shit, except i found this one brand that has tarry stuff inside that works pretty well if you take 1 or 2 a few times a day.

with kava though there is actually a reverse tolerance too which i've experienced myself with these pills. i found almost no effect from taking 1 or 2 at first, but after a few days i just felt more chill. sometimes i'm a little hyper and my brain races, for better or worse, but with kava i found myself right here in the now.

don't expect anything great though
  17. KingTitan New Member

Stoner Buck$:
    $301
    Just came across this page on google and thought id help out. I am Fijian and i see my dad and his family drink kava kava almost every week or when ever they get together. you can find good fresh kava (ground or in root form) at most south pacific or Fijian shops which shouldnt be too hard to find in most major cities.

You need 2 people to do this. What they do is use a handkerchief and each person holds 2 corners of one end (like a hammock) over a large bowl or any container. One person pours cold water (or ice water) into the cloth slowly while the other uses his free hand to mix and squeeze the kava. the filtered light brown liquid is what is what you drink.

How effective? when you first drink this stuff it makes your tongue numb and has a earthy taste. usually it is drunk slowly over hours and i see people usually drink alcohol after they have had their fill of kava but what everyone says it makes you feel GOOD, slightly drunk and also slightly stoned feeling. The elders always say you have a really nice sleep and really nice dreams!. As for smoking this stuff...dont think so, tried it a few years ago and it didnt do anything and tasted like smoking saw dust.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Gandalf: 4 Points (Thanks for the tips) Feb 28, 2009
  18. cibgrower Experienced Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $435
    i take kava kava in the pill extact almost every day you dont need to smoke it take about 5 + pills and it will give u a eufoica state but they are expensive

i weight 165 and im 6,1 and i take about 7 250 m pills just take 1 every 15-20 min and see how you feel.
  19. gmikeyg New Member

Stoner Buck$:
    $251
    I have drank the fresh root, crushed and mixed into a white drink i Maui at a bar near the airport. They would not let me drink alcohol, cause they said you should only have one or the other, not both at one time. Had two cups and got on the plane. A very lucid, relaxing high.

I want to find a live plant or four in CA. I'm pretty sure its legal, but can't find any plants in SoCal. PM me if you can help.
  20. Five5 Newbie Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $252
    Hey All,

I recently stumbled upon the post about smoking Kava Kava in a google search by accident. When I was in Fiji, back in...oh lets see....at least 2004, I bought a bag of ground Kava Kava as a souvenir to remember the trip. The villagers I stayed with drank the stuff like water. So anywho, I wanted to post my experience of smoking the ground root. I mixed the Kava Kava with cigarette tobacco in a cgarette, and surprisingly, I felt something, but I'm not sure how to describe it. The after taste is pretty shitty, but there is def somewhat of a numbing, chilled out effect..kinda light headed, but that went quickly. Idk, I'm going to try it again tomorrow since the wrapper burned a bit too quickly. I could def see how sprinkling this over a bowl extends the smoking time. I was surprised that what I packed in a cig wrapper burned as long as it did.

happy smokes

Five5