Cannot consume or possess alcohol as part of my probation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sonshyne, Dec 19, 2011.

1. sonshyne Newbie Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $53
    I have recently been but on first offender probation for possession of cannabis with intent to deliver (class 4 felony), which means that if I successfully complete my 2 years of probation then my charges are dismissed. One of the conditions of my probation states that I cannot consume, use, or possess any alcoholic beverage. While briefly going over the conditions of my probation, the intake officer informed me that I will be subject to random breathalyzers as well as random drug tests. I am not smoking weed or anything so the random drug tests are not of concern to me. I know that I am not allowed to have alcohol in my house, and if my PO decides to stop by and finds alcohol in my house than I will be in violation of my probation. Also, I am not a heavy drinker by any means but I do like to go have a beer or two on occasion and maybe a glass of wine with dinner, very rarely to I ever go out and get plastered. Of course I do not plan on driving after drinking either.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with having random breathalyzers as a condition of their probation? Does this just mean that they may give me a breathalyzer if I come in to take a drug test or for an appointment, or will they also randomly stop by my house and give me a breathalyzer? I have not met my assigned PO yet and my first appointment with him is a few weeks from now, so I do not know yet if he is cool or not. Being that new years eve is coming up, I may find myself having a drink or two. So any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Also, yes I know that the easy solution to my worries here is to just not drink at all and I am fine with that if it's going to be an issue. My questions here is how the random breathalyzers are administered, and if it is safe to have a drink or two on occasion as long as it's not like a day or so before I have an appointment?
  2. mazarxnl Ron Paul 2012

Boobies
    Stoner Buck$:
    $674
    Its out of your body in 24 hours so if you only have it done at appointments you're safe. BUT being new on probation i wouldnt put it past them to come to your home new years day and have you blow into a meter. Why the hell did they group alcohol in with weed? I'll never figure this out.
  3. Rogue Blanksy

Stoner Buck$:
    $1,400
    I have been on probation twice, both for DUIs. The second time around I had to meet with a PO on a monthly basis and ultimately was given two breathalyzer tests and three drug tests. Additionally, I went through four months of alcohol counseling, during which had two drug tests. I also went through DUI school, where I was given two breathalyzer tests.

When I took the breathalyzer tests at probation, I blew into a little machine at the PO officer's desk, during my regularly scheduled appointment. The breathalyzer tests were always done right before a drug test, so if you get “pop quiz” you should expect both tests. And yeah, as long as you don’t drink the day before, you’ll be fine.

But since probation is high risk, and I don't mean to scare you, but I need to mention there is the possibility of running into a type of test called EtG testing (ethyl glucuronide), an immunoassay test which can detect the biomarkers of alcohol consumption for up to the past 80 hours. I don't know how prevalent the test is nationwide, as it’s relatively new, but it’s out there. At the very least, I’ve read that it’s common in Michigan.
  4. sonshyne Newbie Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $53
    Yeah, I've read about ETG testing before but I don't know how common it is here in Illinois where I live. I have also read that a lot of states/counties don't use it because it can't differentiate between alcohol consumed from liquor or from certain medicines that contain alcohol, and that it is also very expensive. The intake officer stated that they will usually just administer the quick-read urine tests that give the results back immediately unless they are out of them, which then I would have to have the urine sent to a lab. As for the no alcohol condition however, she specifically stated that they would only be administering random breathalyzers for that. So I don't think the ETG is something I have to worry about unless I like drop dirty or something.

But do I appreciate your info on this, it was very helpful thanks.
  5. Heisenberg Just Your Average Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $225
    Odds are that they won't come to your house unless they are suspicious.
    If you don't do anything to get on their radar, you'll probably be ok.