Canna Butter Questions

Discussion in 'Food and Drinks' started by Nayo1126, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Nayo1126 Just Your Average Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $392
    I understand everthing about making it but I have 2 questions.

1. How long do you simmer it for? I have found things from 23 hours to only 15min.

2. Is there anything you can do with the cheesecloth or the strained leaves, or are they just useless?

:toilettoke::toilettoke::toilettoke:
  2. jimmi69 R.I.P Simoncelli

Stoner Buck$:
    $2,288
    half hr on low heat simmaring away stirring constantly so not to burn ur butter , whats left is fooooooked bin it . jobs a good en cookiesville here we come :thumbsup:
  3. Donnachris Newbie Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $252
    the longer you cook your butter the btter but 15 or 30 minutes is not enough, you need like a minimum of 8 hours to fully leach the THC into the butter.
    and as far as the green matter that is left, its garbage!!
  4. Flynnster Just Your Average Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $143
    I've made probably 20 batches of brownies A couple with butter but most with
    oil, If you ask 10 people how long to cook your oil for, you will get 12 different
    times. Just cook it for as long as you can. watch your temp!!
  5. mazarxnl Ron Paul 2012

Boobies
    Stoner Buck$:
    $674
    Since thc disolves in the fat in butter then it is possible to have a low potency butter in 30-45 minutes, but yea cooking longer will greatly improve it
  6. BPharmaFree New Member

Stoner Buck$:
    $4,539
    one tip regarding both butter an oil i believe to be true is that you should soak your starting material in luke warm water overnight prior to extraction to get rid of some of the chloroform and related plant matter taste.
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Nimbus: 6 Points (Cool tip. I'll def try it next time.) Jan 6, 2012
  7. Azure_Cloud OG st0n3r

Angelic
    Stoner Buck$:
    $4,079
    that is a good idea. if you are boiling/simmering the butter and weed in water that will largely do the same thing. you let the butter separate back out from the water in the fridge or freezer.

i usually let the butter and weed boil for 3 to 4 hours and my brownies are always chronic (although it was hit or miss the first 5 or 6 times i did it)
  8. BigM Just Your Average Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $328
    ive only ever simmered/boiled mine for 45 mins to an hour, maybe theyd be stronger if i did it longer, but i dunno if i can handle any stronger, was paralysed on the couch for a few hours last time.
  9. djonkoman Junior Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $2,198
    the times I made butter so far I only simmered it for 30-40 minutes, all times it turned out very good and especially some friends had very strong effects from it

today I made some butter wich simmered for a little over an hour, and after that another 15-20 minutes with the gas already turned off but the mixture was still pretty warm(just below boiling at the beginning of those 15-20 min.)
    so now it's waiting to see how this turns out(have to wait for when I'm with friends to test potency... if I'm alone edibles only make me sleepy but I can't get high from it, if I'nm with 1 or more others I get really really high from it)
  10. CDNKush Psychedelic!

Stoner Buck$:
    $350
    Can you use the leaves left over from Vapin to make Cannabutter?
  11. Luke_Tokes Captain Red Eyes

Stoner Buck$:
    $498
    :thumbsup:

I always strain my butter into a Ziploc container and then add a layer of water of equal depth as the butter on top. Then, I refrigerate that over night. Since oil (butter) and water stay separate, all the excess plant matter goes into the water layer and you just skim it off and have some really pure, stoney butter.
  12. Spam_and_eggs The Exalted

Stoner Buck$:
    $212
    I just made some butter last week, and it was really simple. I melted 1 lbs of butter in a crock pot, added all my trim/shake into the crock pot and poured water high enough to cover all plant matter. I let it simmer on low for about 3 hours then strained through cheese cloth after letting it cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Place the bowl you strained everything into in the fridge for a few hours 3+ and then butter hardens at the top and you simply scoop it out, leaving the water in the bowl. Trash the leftover greenery.
    Cannabis Butter.jpg
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    valleyman80: 0 Points Jan 7, 2012
  13. Beldar Newbie Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $51
    Newbie trying to make a small amt. of canabutter - help :)

Hello,

I'm trying to make some canabutter using the boiling water and butter method. I melted 1 stick in hot water and added perhaps 1/16th oz. of the fun stuff. I've set the temp so it's at a rolling boil but not so high that it's splashing around. This seems to keep the plant matter moving via convection from the bottom...I've been there to stir it but it isn't acting like it needs to be due to the water movement. I've seen cook times anywhere from 20 mins to hours and hours, but what is optimal REALLY? Will letting the mixture boil on med-high for a few hours be long enough? I've tried before with shorter times and also just sauteeing the butter, but it never did work. I'm not sure if I got it too hot and all the stuff vaporized or if I just didn't let it cook long enough. I've read a number of places that since water boils at 212 F of course, that it will self-regulate the temp enough so that the THC will dissolve into the fat but not so hot it'll all go poof. What's the story? Thanks everyone. :);pass
  14. BPharmaFree New Member

Stoner Buck$:
    $4,539
    I'd add one more tip...yes the leftover plant matter is trash but especially if you go for a short 1st extraction run it again for a 2nd or 3rd extraction. have read numerous examples of people doing that. waste not want not ya know?
  15. tripp Just Your Average Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $124
    NEGATIVE
  16. Azure_Cloud OG st0n3r

Angelic
    Stoner Buck$:
    $4,079
    I like to simmer my leftovers, still wrapped in cheese cloth, in a saucepan with milk and cream. Makes a nice little nightcap.
  17. Urbz Just Your Average Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $164
    I'm going to start some, I can get trim from a decent plant, just smoking the leaves will start getting you a decent buzz after like 6 hits, do you think a zip lock baggie chuck full of just leaves and thin stems (it has some small pieces of dank bud, but not much, usually just like 10 bowls worth mixed in) would be enough to use in a pound of butter to make a few batches of brownies, how many batches should one pound make? I have never made them before but have had a few weak brownies, I dont want to put wayyy to much butter in and go comatose lol i will be wanting a strong high but I dont wanna get everyone entirely too high to even enjoy it.

I was thinking of trying to measure out 1g per brownie and eat 2, that might be alil strong, but I'm sure we can take em.

So to make them, lemme get this striaght,
    Crock-pot on lowest setting,
    spacer tray at the bottom and pot ontop.
    simmer for 8 hours.
    strain with cheese cloth after its alittle cooler.
    add warm water and stirr,
    put in fringe til separated butter solidifies
  18. rick420 Hybrid Stoner

Stoner Buck$:
    $701
    I've never attempted Canna Butter, but have a question.

I see a couple of mentions of 'oil' here. I have been thinking about the possibility of using olive oil or canola oil instead butter.

For me its just a health consideration - love the taste of butter, but for me healthy oils low in saturated fat are a better choice.

If this would work, the healthy oil base containing the extracted THC and CBD could be used in a lot of ways.

So, has anyone ever done this and what was the result?

Thanks!
  19. Nimbus The truth is on our side

Stoner Buck$:
    $652
    The ratios I've been working with are one pound of leaves or one ounce of bud per pound of butter. This does not produce coma inducing effects.

Not sure I understand everything about the method you've described but if it were me, I'd put the water in right from the beginning in order to alleviate worries of getting the temp too high.
  20. Nimbus The truth is on our side

Stoner Buck$:
    $652
    Can't give you a first hand answer but I'm pretty sure that a healthy oil will work out fine. Remember though that butter is roughly 20% water so this will affect your ratio/potency.